Our approach to Mod 2 is to build on the competencies covered in Mod 1 so that students can begin to create a job search and branding strategy as well as learn more about what software development looks like so that they can more clearly define their goals. Mod 2 professional development is delivered through a combination of self-paced asynchronous sessions, small group discussion, office hours, and other check-ins.
Key Learning Goals
The following are covered in the Mod 2 curriculum from our 5 core competencies:
- Build on and create new networking strategies to expand your network
- Utilize networking to conduct research for your new career
- Build self-awareness around your background, strengths, values, and goals in order to describe them to others
- Utilize your understanding of your story and your experiences to creatae a resume draft
- Job Search Strategies:
- Combine your values and goals along with tools we’ll provide you to create a strong job search strategy
See more about these learning goals here.
By the end of Mod 2, you should have completed:
- Exit Tickets for each of the async lessons. These should be completed by EOD Friday of the respective week.
- Resume draft:
- Your draft should be formatted for an ATS system, be no more than 1 page, and must include at least 2 software projects that you’ve completed so far at Turing and a list of technical skills
- Due date #1: EOD Friday of Week 2 submitted through this survey and you will also workshop your draft with your homeroom group in Week 5.
- Final due date: EOD Friday of Week 5 through the end of mod survey (below)
- 2 Networking activities:
- Build a list of 4 warm contacts (people you want to get to know better) and 4 cold contacts (people in the tech industry to reach out to)
- Outline 1 action step to take for networking during the mod and document it in your networking tracker
- Due date: EOD Friday of Week 5 through the end of mod survey (below)
- Complete end of mod self-evaluation survey by EOD Friday of Week 5
To find your weekly activities and deadlines, please check out each week below:
- Week 1: Creating a Technically Focused Resume
- Week 2: Building Connection Through Networking
- Week 3: Job Search Strategies
- Week 4: What’s a Dev event
- Week 5: Resume Review Workshop
You will also participate in weekly student discussion groups on Wednesdays to collaborate on your professional development.
Repeating the Module
For students repeating Module 2, they are not required to attend workshops again unless they would like to. Instead, they will create specific goals to work on during the module using this plan. They will continue to meet with their Homeroom and Mix It Up groups on Wednesday afternoons.